Monday, January 12, 2009

ONE HUNDRED MORE POEMS FROM THE JAPANESE (1974)

Kenneth Rexroth



XVII


The uguisu has not come
To sing on this misty day.
Somewhere, I guess, he is sleeping,
His jeweled claws neatly doubled.



Yosano Akiko




XLI


Everybody tells me
My hair is too long
I leave it
As you saw it last
Dishevelled by your hands.


Lady Sono No Omi Ikuha




LXXIV


When I pick up my koto
A cry of sorrow comes from it.
Is it possible that
In the koto's hollow
My wife's spirit
Has secluded itself?



Anonymous, Manyoshu




LXXIX


Evening darkens until
I can no longer see the path.
Still I find my way home,
My horse has gone this way before.



Anonymous, Gosenshu



XCVI


Everybody knows
How much I love you.
All your
Mannerisms
Have become my
Mannerisms.


Anonymous

2 Comments:

Blogger Bureau of Public Secrets said...

Many more Rexroth translations and other writings are online at http://www.bopsecrets.org/rexroth

Enjoy!

3:07 AM  
Blogger Nicky Peacock said...

thank you - how mysterious you are!

2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home